Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Carpool This Look

Okay, I get it. It's art. It is. It's beautiful, sculptural. It is as it should be -- a gift of art for the public eye. But as such, there is probably only one of them, or just a few, and we're probably not meant to wear these few and precious things as we go about our afternoon errands. Carpool and the like. Or maybe we are and maybe the world would be a better place if we did, although I'm not sure how and that's probably a thought to explore in another post. In the meantime, there's this post: Carpool This Look. Make it work for everyday life.
by Juan Hernandez Daels

First of all, I need to think about what's inspiring me here. There is some mystery and drama to this look, something evocative of Theda Bara


or Gloria Swanson


and, although we are all so sick of vampires we could bite ourselves in the neck, Nosferatu


The perfect look for carpool! I feel exactly like he looks every time I drive....

So what's this telling me? Not the Nosferatu part, but these quick ideas.... Oh, I forgot: there's also a touch of Eileen Fisher in that neckwrap --



OMG -- if that's not a hilariously jarring juxtaposition I'm sending my master's degree back in....

So, what do we have so far: classic drama, a bit spooky, and kind of softly beautiful. 
There's this to start --


from the nice folks at Fashionbean
but it leaves a bit too much to the imagining. 
What about something made of this material:



paired with these stripes:


Or, if you can get away with it, a simple cardigan with the scarf not-so-discretely covering the cleavage....


Yeah, yeah, yeah -- it's a maternity garment. But it's got that great, one-button cut.
So with solid on top, what about long and stripy underneath....


Heck yeah, wear 'em to carpool -- imagine how many dads will start offering to drive.

Of course, I'd finish it all off with rubber boots, or something staunch like these Doc Marten's.


But that's just so I don't get to taking myself too seriously.
What do you think? Can you see yourself in the pick-up line in this?

1 comment:

  1. i should be able to - other people have ; )

    fun post, and nice look you came up with! i like the maternity wear touch, steph

    ReplyDelete